There are federal and state programs available to help you with resources to get government money for buying a home, rent and mortgage assistance and home repair and improvement.

These links will get you started:

Hardest Hit Fund (HHF) offers mortgage payment assistance for unemployed or underemployed homeowners:

If you are unemployed, MHA’s Home Affordable Unemployment Program (UP) may (depending on your situation) reduce your mortgage payments to 31 percent of your income or suspend them altogether for 12 months or more: Home Affordable Unemployment Program (UP)

Making Home Affordable Program

More than a million homeowners have been helped by MHA programs. Homeowners in MHA modifications (HAMP) are typically saving more than $500 each month. And now, there are new opportunities for help. If you’re having a tough time making your monthly mortgage payments. (MHA)

Resources for Rent Assistance

Click here for assistance with credit repair for renters, home loans, renters insurance, cable and internet deals, and so much more! (sponsored listing)

Cash for Keys

If foreclosure is imminent, and you are considering a deed in lieu of foreclosure, some lenders are willing to offer “Cash for Keys,” whereby the lender will actually pay you to vacate the home in a timely fashion. The money you receive in exchange is intended to pay for your relocation costs.

The HAFA Program

The Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives program is for borrowers who, although eligible for the government Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), are not able to secure a permanent loan modification or cannot avoid foreclosure. HAFA provides protection and money to eligible borrowers who decide to do a Short Sale or a Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure. (HAFA)

FEMA Housing Portal

Helps individuals and families, who have been displaced by a disaster, find a place to live. The portal consolidates rental resources identified and provided by federal agencies, such as the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), U.S. Veterans Administration (VA), private organizations, and the public, to help individuals and families find available rental units in their area. (FEMA Housing)



Are you or a family member a veteran or currently serving in the Military? If so, there are many benefit programs available! If you know where to look!

These links can help you find government benefits for those who served and continue to serve our country:

VA Education and Training – to fulfill President Lincoln’s promise, “to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan,” by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s veterans.

Survivors and Dependents Assistance – offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. They also offer scholarships for children of those who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.?

Caregiver Programs and Services – is designed to provide you with a wealth of information, tools, and resources on family caregiving, but we know that there?are times when you’d prefer to simply talk to someone. Through VA’s Caregiver Support Line and Caregiver Support Coordinators, you can find the support you need to provide the Veteran you care for with the best care at home.

Armed Forces Tax Benefits – provide some special benefits for active members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in combat zones.

Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) – is health care services provided to Veterans in their home. A VA physician supervises the health care team who provides the services. Home Based Primary Care is for Veterans who have complex health care needs for whom routine clinic-based care is not effective.


Veterans in the U.S.


Unemployment Rate



Thousands of people in the United States are entitled to pension payments that they may not have claimed because they do not know where to look. After all, a company may:


  • Move from one city or town to another
  • Close down a particular plant or office to consolidate its operations elsewhere
  • Be bought by another company and given a new name
  • Merge with another company
  • Divide into separate parts, none of which retains the old company name
  • Go bankrupt
  • Any combination of the above or simply close its doors and disappear
Pension jar with coins in it and cloud raining on umbrella

Your pension money may be sitting safely in a pension plan or financial institution, waiting for you to come forward to claim it. Whether you are the person who earned the benefit, or that person’s surviving beneficiary, if you think you may be entitled to a pension benefit, it makes sense to see if you are.

Get started here:

The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) protects the retirement incomes of more than 40 million American workers in more than 26,000 private-sector defined benefit pension plans.

The U.S. Administration on Aging’s Pension Counseling and Information Program currently serve 30 states. Free legal assistance is available to individuals experiencing a problem with their pension, profit sharing or retirement savings plans.



Tax form

There are both Government and Public Sector Programs available in every state to help individuals prepare their tax returns and save money in the process.

Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic: If you are a low-income taxpayer who cannot afford professional tax assistance or if you speak English as a second language (ESL) and need help understanding your taxpayer rights and responsibilities, you may qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic. (LITC)

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): Program offers free tax help to people who generally make $53,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.

The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE): Program provides free tax assistance to individuals who are age 60 and older. Trained with IRS materials and certified by an IRS examination, a network of volunteers provides free tax counseling and assistance.

The United Way is committed to improving financial stability. Part of this includes helping hardworking people obtain free tax preparation and filing services as well as qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other credits. Last year, they helped return almost $2 billion in total tax refunds to individuals and families, who often used those dollars to pay bills and purchase necessities, such as food and clothing. It also saved people nearly $200 million in paid tax preparer fees.



Abandoned house

According to NAUPA, in FY 2011, 2.5 million claims totaling 2.25 billion dollars of Unclaimed Property were returned to rightful owners.

There are approximately 41 billion dollars being held by various states. Approximately one in every 10 people in the United States has unclaimed property.
In December 2011, a Kansas City woman received a 6.1 million dollar check for UP. The funds related to stock purchased long ago by one of her ancestors.

These links may help you find search for property in your name

Missing Money Site (NAUPA) – is the foremost authority on unclaimed property and the affirmed leader of the coalition of states, administrators, and holders working together to reunite rightful owners with their property.

Resource for Rent Assistance– Click here for assistance with credit repair for renters, home loans, renters insurance, cable and internet deals, and so much more! (sponsored listing).

FDIC Unclaimed Funds – provides deposit insurance to financial institutions and depositors of these institutions. If a financial institution is closed, by a regulatory agency, the FDIC is appointed as Receiver and is responsible for the payment of insured deposits and the liquidation of the remaining assets. If you did not claim your funds previously you now have another opportunity to do so.

Treasury Hunt (Treasury Direct) – tells you about savings bonds no longer earning interest. If you still have these savings bonds, cash or reinvest them so your money can start working for you again.