- The Moneyist: Is it ethical for cruise lines, schools or Broadway to restrict entry to people not vaccinated against COVID-19?on May 12, 2021 at 5:46 am
Are vaccine holdouts ‘pathologically narcissistic’ or exercising their civil rights? And do private businesses have the right to refuse them? The Moneyist weighs in.
- The Moneyist: I bought my parents’ house at below-market rate — my sister wants me to give her $50K to build my mother an annex. Is that fair?on May 12, 2021 at 3:04 am
‘My sister has a bunch of lumber sitting on her lawn, and no money to pay the contractor.’
- The Moneyist: My boyfriend’s brother gave me $6,000 to buy a house 12 years ago. It rose 128% in value. How much should I give him back?on May 12, 2021 at 3:03 am
‘I bought the house for $125,000 and it is now worth approximately $285,000, with a total owed of $185,000.’
- U.S. jobs recovery reveals two very different Americason May 11, 2021 at 2:07 am
The latest figures show a stark divide among workers, both in their ability to get jobs and hang onto them during the pandemic.
- The Moneyist: My wife’s brother, 60, lives with his mom. He thinks the house belongs to him. What should happen after my mother-in-law dies?on May 11, 2021 at 2:07 am
‘Should they let him have the house or rent it? Should they make him pay for the house?’
- The Moneyist: My boyfriend talked me into depositing my paychecks into his bank account, and paying for a car in his name. What can I do?on May 11, 2021 at 2:07 am
‘He financed a brand-new car in his name for me — it cost over $45,000. I made aggressive payments every month and even took money from my 401(k) to pay off the car.’
- The Moneyist: I have crypto FOMO! ‘I’m too old to sit and hope I can make up for the lost time by safely investing my little bit of money’on May 10, 2021 at 3:18 pm
‘I have a $3,000-a-month pension. I am living with my ill father, and I am currently not working and looking for a job. I am going to college using the GI Bill. I am almost 50, and have no 401(k).’
- The Moneyist: I have a ‘mundane’ First World problem: Should I buy a $30,000 bracelet during a global pandemic?on May 9, 2021 at 10:47 pm
‘‘My husband said I should buy it.’
- The Moneyist: My friend set up a GoFundMe to pay for her sick pet, instead of getting a refund on our vacation. I canceled the trip. Who’s right?on May 9, 2021 at 10:46 pm
‘I felt wrong going on a trip that had been funded indirectly by others. In my world, one should not resort to GoFundMe until they have exhausted all other reasonable options.’
- Mutual Funds Weekly: These money and investing tips can keep you ahead of the stock market’s waveson May 9, 2021 at 4:18 pm
These money and investing stories were popular with MarketWatch readers over the past week.